What in the world is a video card with pixel shader support?

Hi there... Want to say hello to us .. or have anything else you just want to say .. feel free!

Moderators: .Web Crew, JoKeRs Officers

Postby Gninja » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:30 am

it is the card that your monitor plugs into. just pull out the old one and put that one in... if by chance it plugged straight into the mother board then you will have to open the case and add the card into one of the slots on the board. just make sure to plug your monitor into the port on the card not the motherboard.
Gninja
Guild Leader

Postby Moskiz » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:19 am

Ah, thx. 8)
Moskiz
Board NewB

Postby Debillus » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:55 am

Do this before messing inside your PC

1) Shutdown your PC
2) Unplug the power cord
3) Unplug the monitor from the PC
4) Turn on your PC (without the powercord) to clear out any residue power buildup
5) Touch something grounded to clear any possible static electicity buildup. Do this frequently during the process.

Stuff that fits, fits. Don't use violence or unnessecary force to install hardware, but do make sure that the graphics adapter is "floored" in its socket. You don't want it to be tilted in anyway.

/Deb
Debillus
Extreme Poster!

Postby Moskiz » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:16 am

Okay today I got the video card, a Rosewill GeForce6600, so I gotta wait till my dad gets home to install it. I should be on later tonight or tomorrow at the latest. So see you guys later. :109J ( :armata_PDT_25J )
I am a little bit, how you say, mentally retarded.
Moskiz
Board NewB

Postby Moskiz » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:44 pm

Nevermind guys. When my dad got home we took off the cover, tried to put the little notches together, and guess what. THEY DIDN'T FIT! :-x So I have to wait til my dad gets home, calls the geek squad ppl at best buy and have them walk himn through it.....man this sucks. I just bought a $120 video card that doesn't even fit. And now we have to call the Best Buy ppl and give them $30 to walk us through it over the telephone! I think I might be on the verge of going CRAZY! What can I do? This is so friggin jacked up.
Moskiz
Board NewB

Postby Debillus » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:49 am

It sounds to me like your AGP slot (the brown one) is version 1.0 - which means that your mainboard is pretty old. If you only have white ones (or big bulky black ones - god forbid) then your PC is ancient.

Upgrading your mainboard usualy also means upgrading your CPU and your RAM, so this could be a little costly :shrug:

/Deb

Edit: Another possibility could also be, that the GFX card you purchased is for a PCI-Express system (see the link above). In that case I'd suggest that you return the card for an AGP version. Upgrading your system to be PCI-Express compliant would be very costly.
Last edited by Debillus on Fri May 14, 2010 10:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Debillus
Extreme Poster!

Postby Kierra » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:53 am

Ok step away from the computer take a deep breath go grab a foot ball and go the hell outside and play lol..... it will be ok hon tell ya what save yourself 30 bucks and call paul 903-258-9643
Kierra
Guild Officer/Hooker

Postby Moskiz » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:28 am

I already have the AGP version. The slots, however, are that 'off-white' color. You know, in between yellow and white.And, yeah, okay Lori, I'll call him.

Oh, when would be a good time to call?

And how would I figure out which kind of AGP slot I have. I think I have a x8 but I dunno.

P.S. How do I make links?Like to another site. In the meantime, you can
go to http://www.newegg.com and (under video cards) type in Rosewill Geforce 6600 and you can view the pic of my card.
Last edited by Moskiz on Fri May 14, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moskiz
Board NewB

Postby Moskiz » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:08 am

While I'm waiting to get my pc together I will be playing Runescape.
Yes, I know, crappy but I used to play it all the time bfore I knew about EQ2 and I still find it rather enjoyable so I'll be playing that under the name Shirtty. (Just letting you know what I'll be doing). If anyone, for some reason, wants to know more or join me in it, I'm here.

Peace all, :109J

And P.S. why don't they make futuristic games like EQ2 or let you go through the different time periods all the way up to the future? I think they would make good games. I mean some ppl prefer medieval times, but I, on the other hand, like them both and I have yet to see a futuristic one. Anyway I was just wondering, maybe I'll talk to the EQ2 ppl and suggest the idea. I kinda get bored with the same old medieval-type games, but hey it's all I got right now.
Moskiz
Board NewB

Postby Debillus » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:11 am

System Requirements AGP 8X slot

That's the one Mos ..
Last edited by Debillus on Fri May 14, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debillus
Extreme Poster!

Postby Moskiz » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:37 pm

So the AGP 8X slot is what I need? We're going to take it into Best Buy anyway, 'cause my dad is stubborn like that, and we are going to get it checked out and probably have them install everything for us. It's prolly better that way anyway, so we don't mess up our pc.

Would Best Buy carry the slots? You know AGP 8X, 16X etc.?
Moskiz
Board NewB

Postby Debillus » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:08 am

The AGP slot is part of the mainboard. The age of the mainboard pretty much determines what speed it can run by, and what interfaces it'll accept.

Unless you have some very specific info on the mainboard (brand, model, revision) I'm not gonna do any guessing on what it'll handle and what it wont, but if it's more than a few years old (2-3 years) you're probably in trouble.

Upgrading your mainboard is not that expensive all by itself, but usualy you either wont, or can't reuse your RAM and CPU when moving from an outdated to an up-to-date level of technology. Add the price of a new CPU and the RAM needed to run EQ2 in the first place (512 MB) you'd be in for a larger investment.

/Deb
Debillus
Extreme Poster!

Postby Moskiz » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:10 am

How do you disable the onboard graphics?
I need to for my vid card to work so get to
me ASAP about it, I really wanna play tonight.
Moskiz
Board NewB

Postby Schaalyr » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:23 am

a lot of boards automatically disable onboard graphics if you have a video card inserted. but if it isn't i believe that you can disable it in the bios
I am so smart! S-M-R-T!
I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Out to see be gone for a while =(
Schaalyr
Board NewB

Postby Moskiz » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:31 am

You guys have no friggin idea how impatient this kind of stuff makes
me I'm not talking about you guys, but I have the vid card but I need
to figure out how to 'disable' the onboard video first.

Yes, I went to dell.com and checked it out, I found one that was right
on the topic. I did everything it said to, IT DIDN'T WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So I was wondering if you guys had any ideas. I seriously am, now, going
crazy. If my dad gets home before you can get back to me I really hope
he can figure it out. :n/a: OMG! :071J :024J
Moskiz
Board NewB

PreviousNext

Return to Say Hello!