STOP THE DANISH AGGRESSION!!!

Got something funny to post? Here's where you have that opportunity!

Moderators: .Web Crew, JoKeRs Officers

STOP THE DANISH AGGRESSION!!!

Postby Xayal » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:03 pm

War may be imminent!

NATO Allies Quarrel Over Frozen Rock

OTTAWA (AP) — Canada and Denmark called a truce this week in a dispute over Hans Island, but neither is renouncing its claim to the wind-swept patch of Arctic rock.

There has been widespread speculation that the two governments may have their eyes on future claims over northern fishing grounds or access to the Northwest Passage, should global warming make the route more viable.

The uninhabited island, the size of several city blocks, sits in the Kennedy Channel of Nares Strait between Canada's Ellesmere Island and Greenland, which is controlled by Denmark.

Canada insists the quarrel is not about the surrounding waters, noting the boundaries of the continental shelf between Ellesmere and Greenland were agreed on in 1973.

Canada's defense minister, Bill Graham (search), rankled Danish officials by making an unannounced visit to Hans Island in July. Canada formally protested the planting of Danish flags on the outcrop in 1984, 1988 and 2004.

Canada's Foreign Minister, Pierre Pettigrew (search), who met with his Danish counterpart during a U.N. summit over the past week in New York, said yesterday they agreed to keep each other informed about any activities around the tiny island.

However, neither side budged on ownership of the island.
Xayal
EEP AGGRO!!!

Postby Debillus » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:43 pm

I see their lips moving, but all I hear is ....
Last edited by Debillus on Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debillus
Extreme Poster!

Postby Quanth » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:07 am

Hehe .. actually Ixis knows a very cool story from up there..

As i recall it Hans iland is very remote and hard to get to, so both the Danish Millitary and the Canadian sends expeditions there once every year. Of course not at the same time, cause they would have a confrontation.

Whenever an expidition come up there, their counterpart has left a bottle of liquor for them to enjoy.
"All your cookies are belong to me"
Quanth
Pally@

Postby Inglorion » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:04 pm

now that's what I call a civilized way to wage war...see who gets drunk first...but they probably would need to step it up a little...I mean...a bottle a year?!?!?! :1onemoment:
Inglorion
Board Troller

Return to JoKeS!